Penguin Wall Art
Finished Size: 14” x 17”
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4”-wide seam allowances throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric.
This festive wall art will add just the right touch of whimsy to your winter décor. Refer to Accurate Seam Allowance. Whenever possible use Assembly Line Method. Press seams in direction of arrows.
Making the Penguin Appliqué
Refer to Appliqué Instructions. Our instructions are for Quick-Fuse Appliqué, but if you prefer hand appliqué, reverse pattern and add 1/4”-wide seam allowances.
- Use pattern to trace penguin pieces on paper side of fusible web. Use appropriate fabrics to prepare all appliqués for fusing.
- Refer to photo and layout to position and fuse appliqués to 4 1/2” x 7” Fabric A piece. Finish appliqué edges with machine satin stitch or other decorative stitching as desired.
- Refer to photo and layout to sew two 1” x 4 1/2” Fabric B pieces to top and bottom of unit from step 2 as shown. Press. Refer to photo and layout to sew two 1” x 8” Fabric B pieces to sides of unit as shown. Press.
Adding the Borders
- Refer to Mitering Borders to sew two 3 1/2” x 17” and two 3 1/2” x 19” Fabric C pieces to unit from step 3. Press. (Note: We have rounded the fabric strip to the nearest 1/4” to accommodate the width of the repeating stripe. Adjust border width as necessary.) Trim unit to 11 1/2” x 14 1/2”.
- Refer to photo and layout to sew unit from step 1 between two 4 1/2” x 11 1/2” Outside Border pieces as shown. Press.
- Refer to photo and layout to sew unit from step 2 between two 4 1/2” x 22” Outside Border pieces as shown. Press.
Layering and Finishing
- Referring to Layering the Quilt, arrange and baste backing, batting, and top together. Hand or machine quilt as desired.
- Refer to Mounting Fabric Art and attach quilt to 14” x 17” frame.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.