This darling apron is made especially for potting plants or yard work. The fusible vinyl makes any dirt easy to wipe off. Check with your local Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store for supplies.
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions:
Apron Front-7/8 yard
One 27 1/2” x 26 1/2” piece
Apron Lining- 7/8 yard
One 27 1/2” x 26 1/2” piece
Apron Ties and Pockets-1/2 yard
Waist Ties-Two 5” x 28 1/2”
Neck Ties- One 5” x 25 1/2”
One 5” x 6 1/2”
Pockets- Four 6 1/2” x 6”
Fusible Vinyl- 1 7/8 yard
One 1 1/4” D-Ring Closure
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4”-wide seam allowance throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric.
You'll enjoy making this practical outdoor apron. Refer to Accurate Seam Allowance and whenever possible use the Assembly Line Method of sewing. Press seams in direction of arrows.
Preparing the Appliqués
- Use patterns to trace two small and one large flower on paper side of fusible web. Use appropriate fabrics to prepare all appliqués for fusing. Our instructions are for Quick-Fuse Appliqué, but if you prefer hand appliqué, add 1/4”-seam allowances.
- Center Large Flower appliqué on apron front approximately 1 3/4” from top raw edge, and Small Flower appliqués on pocket fronts. Fuse in place. Finish appliqué edges with machine satin stitch or other decorative stitching as desired.
- Fuse vinyl to pocket fronts, following manufacturer's instructions.
- Place Pocket Front and Pocket Back right sides together and stitch around all edges, leaving a 4” opening for turning. Clip corners, turn, and press. (To protect vinyl, continue to use vinyl backing paper for all pressing.)
Making the Ties
- Press 1/4” to wrong side on one short end of waist ties and long neck tie. Fold ties in half lengthwise and press. Open and press raw edges to center pressed line and then fold again. Press. Top stitch two long and one short side of ties.
- For short neck tie, fold 5” x 6 1/2” piece in half lengthwise and press. Open and fold raw edges to pressed line. Fold again and top stitch long edges. Insert D-Ring closure onto tie and fold raw edges even. Top stitch D-Ring in place approximately 3/4” from fold.
Making the Apron
- Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse vinyl to apron front. Note: We chose to overlap vinyl horizontally across apron. To overlap vinyl, place vinyl at bottom of apron under vinyl at top of apron, overlapping slightly. Press following manufacturer's instructions.
- Using the curved template, place Armhole curve 5 3/4” from center top and bottom edge of pattern even with side edge of apron front. Mark line. Reverse pattern and repeat process for opposite side of apron. Repeat for Apron Lining.
- Place short neck tie on left side of apron front 1/4” from side seam. Baste in place. Place long neck tie on right side of apron front 1/4” from side seam. Baste in place. Place waist ties 1/4” from armhole seams at bottom of armhole curve. Baste in place.
- With right-sides-together, pin apron front and back together making sure ties are free of seam allowances. Leaving a 7” opening along bottom edge, sew using a 1/4”-wide seam. Clip corners, turn, and press. (Use vinyl backing paper to press.)
- Place pockets 5” from bottom edge and 4 1/4” from side seams and pin in place. Top stitch in place, anchoring corners.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.