Finished Size: 17" x 20 1/2" approx. (without pincushion)
Keep this handy organizer by your sewing station or take it along to your next sewing class. It will keep essential tools for your projects within easy reach. Pockets are placed directly over the matching piece on the background to make sewing very easy. The entire piece is bound so finishing is quick and simple. We chose to create a sand-filled sleeve (which doubles as a pincushion) to hold our organizer right at the end of the sewing table. Finish your organizer with the same technique or add tabs, grommets, or ribbons to hang it on a wall.
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Refer to Cutting Diagram for cutting information. Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4”-wide seam allowances throughout. Press seams in direction of arrows. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric.
Pins and Needles Repeating Stripe - 1 1/8 yard *
*extra fabric might be needed depending on motif alignment. If needed, purchase additional fabric to match our cutting diagram; or, use our diagram as a guide, and cut pockets to match motif alignment on your fabric piece. Use left-over fabric to make fabric-covered tins for extra storage.
Weighted Pincushion - One 7 1/2” x 17 1/2” piece (Optional)
Background - One 20 1/2” x 16 1/2” piece
Pockets - Large: One 14 1/2” x 16 1/2” piece
Small: One 7” x 16 1/2” piece
Clear Vinyl (Medium Weight) - 1/8 yard
Clear Pocket - One 3 1/2” x 16 1/2” piece
Pincushion Lining (scrap fabric)- Two 3 1/2” x 20 1/2" piece
Backing- 1/2 yard
Pocket Trim Strip & Binding-1/4 yard
Two 2 3/4” x 42” strips
One 2” x 42” strip
Batting- One 20” x 24” piece
Making the Organizer
- Layer Backing (right side down), batting, and Background piece (right side up) together. Baste layers together. Quilt as desired.
- Fold 14 1/2” x 16 1/2” Large Pocket in half and press. Fold raw edges under 1/4” to back and press. Center on Background piece aligning side edges and pressed edge of pocket on Background piece, matching motifs, and top-stitch along bottom fold through all layers. For added strength, top-stitch again 1/8" away from first stitching. Stay-stitch pocket sides to background.
- Repeat step 2 to make 7” x 16 1/2” Small Pocket. Place bottom folded edge of pocket over matching motif and top stitch in place through all layers. Stay-stitch pocket sides to background.
- Fold one long side of 2” x 42” trim strip to center of strip, wrong sides together. Press. Repeat with other long edge so raw edges meet in center of strip. Fold in half lengthwise and press. Cut into two 16 1/2” lengths. Encase clear vinyl edge between folded edges of trim strip and top stitch in place close to edge of trim strip. Repeat for other side of vinyl piece.
- Position Clear Pocket on Background piece with top of trim close to bottom of pocket from step 3. Top stitch along bottom trim piece only, close to edge of trim and again 1/8” away for added strength. Stay-stitch vinyl pocket sides to background.
- Stitch vertical pocket sections in pockets as desired. We divided the bottom pocket into three sections (one large (8”) and two small (4”), clear pocket into two sections and top pocket into three sections.
- Fold two 2 3/4”-wide binding strips in half lengthwise and press. Refer to Binding the Quilt and bind sides and bottom edge of organizer.
- 1. With right sides together, sew two long and one short side of 3 1/2” x 20 1/2” Lining piece. Clip corners, turn and press. Fill with sand. Fold raw edge over twice to finish pocket to measure 17”. Machine stitch through all thicknesses to close.
- Fold 7 1/2” x 17” Weighted Pincushion piece in half lengthwise, right sides together, and sew short sides. Clip corners, turn and press. Insert finished weight into pincushion. Top-stitch close to weight. (Note: use zipper foot if desired.) Stitch again 1/4” from previous stitching.
- Align raw edge of Weighted Pincushion with top edge of organizer. Stitch 1/2” from raw edge and again 1/4” away through all thicknesses.
- Refer to Binding the Quilt to bind top edge of organizer including raw edges of pincushion.
Optional: Instead of Weighted Pincushion, bind top edge of organizer and add tabs along top edge using leftover fabric or ribbons.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.