Polar Bear Wallhanging
Finished Size: 30” x 30”
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4”-wide seam allowances throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric.
This ‘cool' wallhanging will keep your thoughts turning to warm fires, hot cocoa, and enjoying the winter snows. Blocks measure 8 1/2” (unfinished). Refer to Accurate Seam Allowance. Whenever possible use Assembly Line Method. Press seams in direction of arrows.
Making the Polar Bear Blocks
Refer to Appliqué instructions. Our instructions are for Quick-Fuse Appliqué, but if you prefer hand appliqué, reverse pattern and add 1/4”-wide seam allowances.
- Use pattern to trace five polar bears on paper side of fusible web. Use appropriate fabrics to prepare all appliqués for fusing.
- Refer to photo and layout to position and fuse appliqués to 8 1/2” Fabric A squares. Finish appliqué edges with machine blanket stitch or other decorative stitching as desired. Polar Bear Blocks measure 8 1/2” square.
Making the Four-Patch Blocks
- Referring to photo and layout, sew two 4 1/2” Fabric B squares together as shown. Press. Make 2 of each combination as shown.
- Referring to photo and layout, sew units from step 1 together as shown. Press. Make two of each combination and label Block 1 and Block 2.
Assembling the Quilt
- Refer to layout and photo to arrange and sew two Polar Bear Blocks and one Block 1 Four-Patch block together as shown. Press. Make two, noting orientation of Block 1 Four-Patch block.
- Refer to photo and layout to arrange and sew two Block 2 Four-Patch blocks and one Polar Bear block together as shown, noting orientation of Block 2 Four-Patch blocks. Press.
Refer to photo and layout to arrange and sew rows from steps 1 and 2 together as shown. Press.
Adding the Borders
- Refer to photo and layout to sew unit from step 3 between two 1” x 24 1/2” Accent Border strips as shown. Press. Sew unit between two 1” x 25 1/2” Accent Border strips as shown. Press.
- Refer to photo and layout to sew unit from step 1 between two 2 1/2” x 25 1/2” Outside Border strips as shown. Press. Sew unit between two 2 1/2” x 29 1/2” Outside Border strips as shown. Press.
Layering and Finishing
- Referring to Layering the Quilt, arrange and baste backing, batting, and top together. Hand or machine quilt as desired.
- Refer to Binding the Quilt. Use 2 3/4”-wide Binding strips to bind quilt.
- Optional: Refer to photo to add bead and snowflake embellishments.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.