Finished Size 24”x 20” x 3”
Let your dog cuddle up on this cozy, comfortable bed made from Debbie Mumm fabric exclusively found at JoAnn Fabric and Craft stores. For a larger dog, add borders as needed and adjust backing and insert accordingly.
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4”-wide seam allowances throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric, and whenever possible use the Assembly Line Method .
Making the Dog Bed
- Sew one 6 1/2” x 10 1/2” Fabric A piece between two 3 1/2” x 10 1/2” Fabric B pieces as shown. Press.
- Sew unit from step 1 between two 3 1/2” x 12 1/2” Fabric B pieces as shown. Press.
- Sew unit from step 2 between two 4 1/2” x 16 1/2” Fabric C pieces as shown. Press.
Sew unit from step 3 between two 4 1/2” x 20 1/2” Fabric C pieces as shown. Press.
Adding the Appliqué
Refer to Appliqué Instructions. Our instructions are for Quick-Fuse Appliqué, but if you prefer hand appliqué, reverse pattern and add 1/4”-wide seam allowances.
- Use pattern to trace one bone on paper side of fusible web. Use appropriate fabric to prepare appliqué for fusing.
- Refer to photo and layout to position and fuse appliqué to quilt. Finish appliqué edges with machine satin stitch or other decorative stitching as desired.
- Referring to Layering the Quilt, arrange and baste lining, batting, and top together. Hand or machine quilt as desired. Trim top even with lining edge.
Adding the Gusset
- Sew 3 1/2” x 42” Fabric D pieces end-to-end to make one continuous 3 1/2”-wide gusset strip. Cut strip to measure 88 1/2”. Sew short ends together and press.
- With right sides together, pin and sew gusset strip to Dog Bed top forming sides, clipping corners close to strip but not through seam allowance. Pivot corners.
- Referring to Finishing Pillows, steps 2 and 3 to prepare Dog Bed backing pieces.
- With right sides together, position and pin opposite side of gusset to backing. Sew around edges, clip corners, turn right side out, and press.
Making the Pillow Insert
- Using two 20 1/2” x 24” and one 3 1/2” x 88 1/2” lining piece, make pillow form referring to steps 2 through 4 Adding the Gusset above. Leave 5” opening for turning and stuff as desired. Hand-stitch opening closed.
- Insert pillow form into finished Dog Bed.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.