Lake Time Picnic Throw
This picnic throw is the perfect size to take along on that outdoor adventure. Its simple construction makes it quick to make and it will add that whimsical touch to the day. Fabrics are available at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4”-wide seam allowances throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric.
You will be making twelve motif blocks and thirty-one strip-pieced blocks to set with squares for this simple quilt. Refer to Accurate Seam Allowance and whenever possible use the Assembly Line Method of sewing. Press seams in direction of arrows. Blocks measure 6 1/2” unfinished.
Making the Strip-Pieced Blocks
Sew one of each color 2 1/2” Fabric A strips together lengthwise as shown. Press. Make six. Cut into thirty-one 6 1/2” segments.
Making the Motif Blocks
Refer to Appliqué Instructions. Our instructions are for Quick-Fuse appliqué, but if you prefer hand appliqué, add 1/4”-wide seam allowance. Prepare appliqués using “fussy-cut” Lake Time motifs. Center on 6 1/2” Fabric B squares. Press. Finish edges with machine zig-zag stitch or other decorative stitching as desired.
Assembling the Quilt
- Referring to photo and layout, sew four Fabric D squares, two of each color, and three Strip-Pieced Blocks together as shown, noting orientation of Strip-Pieced Blocks. Press toward Fabric D squares. Make five and label Rows 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9.
- Referring to photo and layout, sew four Strip-Pieced Blocks and three Motif Blocks together as shown, noting orientation of Strip-Pieced Blocks. Press toward Motif Blocks. Make two and label Rows 2 and 6.
- Referring to photo and layout, sew four Strip-Pieced Blocks and three Motif Blocks together as shown, noting orientation of Strip-Pieced Blocks. Press toward Motif Blocks. Make two and label Rows 4 and 8.
- Referring to photo and layout, sew rows together, turning rows from step 1 as needed for correct color placement. Press.
Layering and Finishing
- Cut backing crosswise into two equal pieces. Sew pieces together to make one 48” x 80” (approximate) backing piece. Press and trim to 48” x 62”. Referring to Layering the Quilt, arrange and baste backing, batting, and top together. Hand or machine quilt as desired.
- Sew 2 3/4” x 42” binding strips end-to-end to make one continuous 2 3/4”-wide binding strip. Refer to Binding the Quilt and bind quilt to finish.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.