Easter Table Topper
Finished size 42" square
Add your favorite centerpiece and table décor to this quick and easy springtime table topper. Its simple construction makes sewing time minimal and there’s no quilting or binding, which makes it easy to finish. Complete your Easter table with the matching napkins.
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Fabric A (Center Motif) - 7/8 yard
One 28 1/2" square
Fabric B (Corners and Accent Border) - 1/2 yard
Four 9 1/2" squares;
Two 1 1/2" x 30 1/2" strips
Two 1 1/2" x 28 1/2" strips
Outside Border - 7/8 yard
Two 6 1/2" x 30 1/2" strips
Two 6 1/2" x 42 1/2" strips
Backing - 1 1/4 yards
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4"-wide seam allowance throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric. Press seams in direction of arrows.
Making the Table Topper
Refer to Quick Corner Triangles to sew four 9 1/2" Fabric B squares to 28 1/2" Fabric A center square. Press. TIP: To make sure stripes go in one direction on corner squares, pre-fold Fabric B square and place on Fabric A corner. Refold in opposite direction if necessary, so stripes run in direction desired. When stripes are aligned correctly, mark correct diagonal line on back of Fabric B square. Place square in corner, pin in place and sew on drawn line.
Assembling the Table Topper
- Sew two 1 1/2" x 28 1/2" Fabric B Accent Strips to top and bottom of unit from step 1. Press toward strips just added.
- Sew two 1 1/2" x 30 1/2" Fabric B Accent Strips to sides of unit from step 1. Press toward strips just added.
- Sew two 6 1/2" x 30 1/2" Outside Border strips to top and bottom of unit from step 2. Press toward borders just added.
- Sew two 6 1/2" x 42 1/2" Outside Border strips to sides of unit from step 3. Press toward borders just added.
Layering and Finishing
- Place finished table topper top right sides together on backing and pin all edges. Sew around all edges, leaving a 5" opening for turning. Trim backing even with table topper edges, clip corners, turn and press.
- Hand-stitch opening closed.
Materials needed (for two napkins):
Napkin Fabric – 1 1/6 yard
Four 18 1/2" squares
Corner Accent Fabric – 1/4 yard
Two 7 1/2" Corner Accent Squares
Appliqué Accents - scrap
Two 2" Appliqué Accent squares (approximate)
Lightweight Fusible Web - scrap
Two 3" squares
These simple napkins add just the right accent to your Easter table décor. Use different appliqué accent squares on each napkin to add interest.
Making the Napkins
Refer to Quick Corner Triangles to sew one 7 1/2" Corner Accent Square to one 18 1/2" Napkin Fabric square. Press. Make two.
Adding the Appliqués
Refer to Quick Fuse Appliqué to fuse lightweight fusible web to back side of Appliqué accent piece. Center Appliqué on Corner Accent square and press. Finish edges with machine satin stitch or other decorative stitching as desired. Make two.
Layer remaining Napkin Fabric square and Napkin Front right sides together. Using 1/4"-wide seam allowance, stitch around all sides leaving a 5" opening for turning. Clip corners and turn right side out. Press. Top-stitch scant 1/4" from all edges. Make two.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.