Spools Lap Quilt
Finished Size 41” x 50”
Use this lap quilt as a wallhanging in your sewing room to get in the mood for quilting, or keep it by your easy chair as you browse through your favorite quilt books. Either way, you’ll enjoy its quick and easy construction and scrappy look when finished.
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4”-wide seam allowance throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric.
You will be making twenty blocks, ten each of two different spool colors, forming Block One and Block Two. Blocks measure 9 1/2” unfinished. Refer to Accurate Seam Allowance and whenever possible use the Assembly Line Method of sewing. Press seams in direction of arrows.
Making the Blocks
- Refer to Quick Corner Triangles. Sew two 2 1/2” Fabric A squares to one 2 1/2” x 9 1/2” Fabric B piece making quick corner triangles as shown. Press. Make twenty of each Fabric B spool color combination.
- Sew one 5 1/2” Fabric C square between two 2 1/2” x 5 1/2” Fabric A pieces as shown. Press. Make ten of each Fabric A background color combination. Note: We used two of each Fabric C for Block One and Block Two.
- Sew one unit from step 2 between two units from step 1, matching Fabric A background fabrics, as shown. Press. Make ten of each Fabric B spool color combination. Label one Fabric B color combination Block One and one Fabric B color combination Block Two.
Assembling the Quilt
- Refer to photo and layout to place Block One and Block Two into five rows of four blocks each as shown. Sew blocks together into pairs, then rows, turning rows as needed to alternate Block One and Block Two throughout quilt. Press seams in opposite direction from row to row.
Adding the Borders
- Sew two 2 1/2” x 36 1/2” Outside Border fabric strips to top and bottom of quilt. Press.
- Sew remaining 2 1/2” x 42” Outside Border strips end-to-end to make one continuous 2 1/2” strip. Refer to Adding the Borders and measure quilt through center from top to bottom. Cut two 2 1/2”-wide Outside Border strips to this measurement. Sew to sides. Press.
Layering and Finishing
- Cut backing fabric crosswise into two equal pieces. Sew pieces together to make one 48” x 80” (approximate) backing piece. Press and trim to 48” x 58”. Arrange and baste backing, batting, and top together, referring to Layering the Quilt. Hand or machine quilt as desired.
- Sew 2 3/4” x 42” binding strips end-to-end to make one continuous 2 3/4”-wide binding strip. Refer to Binding the Quilt and bind quilt to finish. (Note: Our quilt shows bias binding.)
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.