Window to Nature Wall Quilt
Finished Size: 30” x 30”
The ever-changing lines, colors, and shapes of nature are an unfailing source of inspiration for any creative woman. Whether your real-life landscape is a city skyline or country lane, this wonderfully scrappy wall piece — with its sculptural, quick-stitched tree and richly colored, dimensional leaves — offers an inspirational window open all year long.
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4"-wide seam allowances throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabric.
This scrappy quilt includes twenty-five background blocks in a wide variety of green, gold, and tan fabrics. The blocks are made in five variations: four each of Blocks 1 and 3, twelve of Block 2, two each of Blocks 4 and 5, and one of Block 6. Blocks measure 6 1/2" square unfinished.
The appliquéd tree is cut as one piece from Woolfelt™. It is not fused, but adhered to the quilt with temporary fabric adhesive, and stitched down with a straight stitch after the quilt is quilted.
Leaves are cut from a single layer of wool and added to the quilt in the final step. Refer to Accurate Seam Allowance.
Whenever possible, use the Assembly Line method. Press seams in direction of arrows.
- Refer to Quick Corner Triangles. Sew one 2 1/2" Fabric A square to one contrasting 6 1/2" Fabric A square as shown. Press. Make four in assorted fabric combinations and label Block 1.
- Making quick corner triangle units, sew two scrappy 2 1/2" Fabric A squares to one contrasting 6 1/2" Fabric A square. Make twelve in assorted fabric combinations and label Block 2. Press eight as shown, and four in opposite direction.
- Making quick corner triangle units, sew three scrappy 2 1/2" Fabric A squares and one 2 1/2" Fabric B square to one contrasting 6 1/2" Fabric B square as shown. Press. Make four in assorted fabric combinations and label Block 3.
- Making quick corner triangle units, sew two scrappy 2 1/2" Fabric A squares and two 2 1/2" scrappy Fabric B squares to one contrasting 6 1/2" Fabric B square as shown. Press. Make two in assorted fabric combinations. Label units Block 4. Repeat using two 2 1/2"Fabric A squares, two 2 1/2" Fabric B squares, and one 6 1/2" Fabric C square as shown. Make two in assorted fabric combinations. Label units Block 5.
- Making quick corner triangle units, sew four scrappy 2 1/2" Fabric B squares to one 6 1/2" Fabric C square as shown. Press. Label unit Block 6.
Sew two of Block 1 and three of Block 2 together as shown. Make two rows. Press one row as shown, and one in opposite direction.
- Sew two of Block 2, two of Block 3, and one of Block 5 as shown. Press. Make two rows.
- Sew two of Block 2, two of Block 4, and Block 6 together, as shown, for Row 3. Press.
- Refer to quilt layout and photo. Arrange rows from steps 1-3 as shown. Sew rows together. Press.
Layering and Finishing
- Layer top and backing right sides together over batting. Sew around perimeter of quilt top with 1/4"-wide seam, leaving 10" opening for turning. Trim batting and backing, clip corners, turn right side out, and press. Hand-stitch opening closed.
- Hand or machine quilt as desired.
- Trace Appliqué Patterns for tree, connecting trunk and limbs as shown to make a single tree unit. Trace large and small Leaf Patterns. (see patterns download below).
- Cut one tree from WoolFelt™, and use assorted wool scraps to cut eight small leaves and thirty-eight large leaves.
- Refer to quilt layout and photo. Use temporary spray adhesive to position tree in center of quilt as shown. Secure tree to quilt by sewing a straight stitch close to edge of appliqué.
- Referring to quilt layout and photo, arrange and pin small leaves on tree branches as shown. Secure leaves in quilt with machine triple stitch or decorative stitching as desired, following stitching lines indicated on leaf pattern. Position and pin large leaves around perimeter of quilt as shown and secure in similar fashion.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.