Building Blocks Crib Quilt
Finished Size: 46" x 58"
Bright colors and geometric shapes build upon one another in this cute crib quilt. Almost as easy as stacking baby's blocks, construction of this crib quilt is fast and fun. Make it bright or make it pastel-pretty; this crib quilt will be treasured by a new mother and baby.
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4 "-wide seam allowances throughout. Read Cutting Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabrics.
This quilt consists of twelve strip-pieced blocks, 12 1/2" square, unfinished. Whenever possible, use the Assembly Line Method. Press seams in direction of arrows or as instructed in step 7.
- Sew one 3 1/2 " x 44" Fabric B strip between two 3 1/2 " x 44" Fabric A strips. Press. Make two strip sets.
- From each strip set, cut twelve 3 1/2 "-wide segments for a total of twenty-four segments.
- Sew 3 1/2 " x 9 1/2 " Fabric C piece between two segments from step 2. Press. Make twelve.
- Sew 3 1/2 " x 9 1/2 " Fabric D strip to unit from step 3 as shown. Press. Make twelve.
- Sew 3 1/2 " x 44" Fabric B strip between 3 1/2 " x 44" Fabric E and 6 1/2 " x 44" Fabric E strips. Press.
- Cut 3 1/2 "-wide segments from unit from step 5. Cut twelve.
- Sew segment from step 6 to unit from step 4 as shown. Make twelve. Press six blocks as shown, and six blocks with seams in opposite direction. Block measures 12 1/2 " square.
- Alternating direction of seams, sew three blocks together as shown to make a row. Make four rows. Press seams in opposite direction from row to row.
- Referring to layout, sew rows together. Press.
- Sew 1 1/2 " x 42" First Border strips end-to-end to make one continuous 1 1/2 "-wide strip. Referring to Adding the Borders, measure quilt through center from side to side. Cut two 1 1/2 "-wide First Border strips to that measurement. Sew to top and bottom of quilt. Press seams toward border.
- Measure quilt through center from top to bottom, including borders just added. Cut two 1 1/2 "-wide First Border strips to that measurement. Sew to sides of quilt. Press toward border.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to join, measure, trim, and sew 4"-wide Outside Borders to all sides. Press toward border.
Layering and Finishing
- Cut backing crosswise into two equal pieces and sew pieces together to make one 54" x 84" (approximate) piece. Press. Cut backing to 54" x 66". Arrange and baste backing, batting,
and top together, referring to Layering the Quilt.
- Hand or machine quilt as desired.
- Sew 2 3/4 " x 42" binding strips end-to-end to make one continuous 2 3/4 "-wide binding strip. Press. Refer to Binding the Quilt and bind quilt to finish.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.