Fruit Du Jour Table Quilt
Finished Size: 43” square
Lattice ribbons intertwine showcasing luscious fruit on this classic table quilt. Strip piecing and quick corner triangles make this quilt easy to piece. Fruit details can be machine embroidered or appliquéd. Pick your preference. For more French Country Kitchen projects and four other complete room decorating ideas, order Debbie’s Decorating with Quick & Easy Quilts book.
Fabric Requirements & Cutting Instructions
Read all instructions before beginning and use 1/4"-wide seam allowances throughout. Read Cutting the
Strips and Pieces prior to cutting fabrics.
You will be making four blocks with embroidered centers. Blocks measure 12 1/2" square unfinished.
Refer to Accurate Seam Allowance. Use the Assembly Line Method whenever possible. Press seams in direction of arrows.
Embroidery card source information
The Good Life by Debbie Mumm® embroidery card features fruit and flower motifs. It is available from a Bernina® dealer or online at www.embroideryonline.com.
Making the Blocks
- The Good Life by Debbie Mumm® embroidery card and a Bernina® artista 200E were used for this project. Refer to manufacturer’s machine-embroidery guide to fasten fabric and stabilizer in hoop. Place 10" Fabric A square diagonally in embroidery hoop to embroider design on point. Refer to photo and layout and stitch design. Remove stabilizer and trim fabric to 6 1/2" square. Make four.
- Sew 2 1/2" x 42" Fabric A strip to 1 1/2" x 42" Fabric B strip. Press. Make three.
- From strip sets, cut sixteen 6 1/2"-wide segments.
- Sew 6 1/2" Fabric A square from step 1 between two units from step 3 as shown. Press. Make four.
- Refer to Quick Corner Triangles. Sew two 2 1/2" Fabric A squares to 3 1/2" Fabric B square as shown. Press. Make sixteen.
- Sew unit from step 3 between two units from step 5 as shown. Press. Make eight.
- Sew unit from step 4 between two units from step 6 as shown. Press. Make four.
- Referring to Adding the Borders, measure quilt through center from side to side. Cut two 1 1/2"-wide Fabric B strips to that measurement. Sew to top and bottom of quilt. Press seams toward border.
- Measure quilt through center from top to bottom including the borders just added. Cut two 1 1/2"-wide Fabric B strips to that measurement. Sew to sides of quilt. Press toward border.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to measure, trim, and sew 1 1/2"-wide Second Border and 31/2"-wide Third Border strips to quilt. Press seams toward borders.
- Sew 4 1/2" x 42" Outside Border strips end-to-end to make one continuous 4 1/2"-wide strip. Refer to steps 1 and 2 to measure, trim, and sew 4 1/2"-wide Outside Border to quilt. Press.
Layering & Finishing
- Cut backing fabric in half crosswise. Sew pieces together to make one 80" x 49" (approximate) backing piece. Press. Trim backing to 49" square. Arrange and baste backing, batting, and top together, referring to Layering the Quilt.
- Hand or machine quilt as desired.
- Sew 2 3/4" x 42" binding strips end-to-end to make one continuous 2 3/4"-wide strip. Refer to Binding the Quilt and bind quilt to finish.
If desired, appliqués and hand embroidery may be used in place of machine embroidery. Add appliqués just prior to Layering and Finishing. Refer to Appliqué Templates, and Quick-Fuse Appliqué. Trace, arrange, and fuse appliqués to center of blocks. Finish appliqués with machine satin stitch or decorative stitching as desired.
If hand appliqué is preferred, refer to Hand Appliqué.
Refer to Embroidery Guide. Use two strands of embroidery floss and a Satin or Stem Stitch for stems, a Stem Stitch for leaf veins, and French Knots for blossom centers.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.