Plumpkins & YO-YO Pumpkins
Seasonal decorating is fast, fun, and easy when you turn fabric into pumpkins. Stack them on a mantel, poke them in a basket or string them as a garland for a delightful touch of whimsy. These pumpkin yo-yos and Plumpkins are quick and fun to make and even more fun to use for decorating.
Finished Sizes: Small-4 1/2", Medium-6", Large-7 1/2"
These soft and inviting Plumpkins are quick and easy to make. Before you know it, you will have a Plumpkin patch growing in your home. Everyone will find them irresistible. Make one and see what we mean!
Materials Needed (to make one plumpkin)
- Fabric circle
- Small - 9", Medium - 12", or Large - 15"
- Plastic pellet bean bag fill
- Small - 1/3 cup, Medium - 1/2 cup, or Large - 3/4 cup
- Stem - 3" piece of a tree branch
- Polyester fiberfill stuffing
- Fabric-covered florist wire
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- Thread needle and make a double knot at one end. Turning in a 1/4" seam allowance as you go, sew 1/2" running stitches close to folded edge of circle. When you reach the beginning point, pull thread to gather stitches.
- Pour plastic pellet bean bag fill into bottom of Plumpkin. Add an equal amount of polyester fiberfill stuffing. For maximum plumpage, be careful not to overstuff.
- Pull thread to close opening, inserting stem as you go. Knot thread. Coil florist wire by wrapping it around a pencil. Poke coiled wire between opening and stem. Glue stem in place.
Finished Size: Approximately 40" long
- Fabric - Ten 5" squares
- Fabric-covered florist wire - Ten 3" lengths
- Twigs - Ten 2" lengths
- Black crochet thread - 2 yards
- Tacky glue
- Refer to Making Yo-yos. Make ten large yo-yos using a 4" fabric circle.
- Coil florist wire by wrapping it around a pencil. Glue one wire and twig to back of each yo-yo, referring to diagram for placement.
Lay out yo-yo pumpkins in a pleasing order. Tie pumpkins together with 5" lengths of crochet thread at the two o'clock and ten o'clock positions. Use remaining crochet thread to add hanging loops to each end of garland.
Website visitors have permission to print this project for personal use only. This project may not be copied or otherwise reproduced without the express written permission of Debbie Mumm®.